First 12 women record in English Literature
This article is focused on first 12 women ever recorded in history of English Literature.
- World’s first women writer – Enheduanna, the Akkadian/Sumerian poet.
- India’s first women writer to win Man Booker Prize – Arundhati Roy.
- First women to publish a book – Anne Bradstreet (book of poems, The Tenth Muse Lately Sprung Up in America).
- First noted Black American women poet and one of the first women to be published in colonial America – Phillis Wheatley.
- The first woman to read law at Oxford / the first Indian national to study at a British university and the first female lawyer in India – Cornelia Sorabji.
- Mother of modern African Literature – Flora Nwapa.
- First black women to publish fiction in the United States – Harriet E. Wilson.
- First African American women to win noble prize for literature – Toni Morrison.
- First women to write and put the role of women on stage – Aphra Behn.
- First African American woman to have a screenplay made into a movie – Maya Angelou.
- First American feminist essayist – Judith Sargent Murray. First American women to create a non-fiction – Mercy Otis Warren.